Baked Chops With Vegetables
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 6 (3/4-inch-thick) pork loin chops (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium-size green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 (8 3/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Melt shortening in a large skillet over medium heat; add pork chops, and brown on both sides. Remove chops from skillet, and drain on paper towels; drain off pan drippings.
- Sauté green pepper, onion, and celery in 1/4 cup butter in a medium saucepan . Remove from heat; add corn, breadcrumbs, egg, salt, and pepper, stirring until well blended. Set vegetable mixture aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour , stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Arrange pork chops in a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish . Spoon vegetable mixture over pork chops. Pour white sauce evenly over vegetable mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 300° for 45 minutes or until pork chops are tender. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes