Great, and unique breakfast! Little spicy and deliciously so! Making ahead was a huge time saver. Made the first x for company and so glad I did. Yummy breakfast!
Baked Chiles Rellenos
This casserole version of the Mexican specialty is perfect for a spicy Easter brunch. This dish can be prepared through step 5 up to a day ahead and chilled (bake an extra 5 to 10 minutes).
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 444
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 28g
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 1093mg
- Cholesterol: 378mg
- 8 poblano chiles
- 3/4 pound fresh high-quality Mexican chorizo
- 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano leaves
- 12 eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup freshly shredded jack cheese
- 1. Preheat broiler. Lay chiles in a single layer on a baking sheet. Cook about 4 in. from broiler until chiles are blistering and black, about 5 minutes. Turn chiles over and broil until blistering and black all over, about 5 minutes. Put chiles in a large metal bowl and cover with foil or plastic wrap. Let sit 15 minutes.
- 2. Peel chiles and discard skins. Cut off stem ends and discard; remove seeds. Set chiles aside on layers of paper towels to dry.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook chorizo, stirring occasionally to break up the meat, until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, mix chorizo, cotija, and oregano. Stuff chiles with mixture and lay them in an 8- by 12-in. baking dish.
- 5. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until they are thoroughly broken up and uniform in color and texture. Whisk in flour, baking powder, and salt. Sprinkle chiles with 1/2 the jack cheese. Pour egg mixture over chiles and sprinkle with remaining jack.
- 6. Bake until top starts to brown and the eggs are set but still soft, about 30 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This