This Dish is Delicious! I will definitely make it again. My husband loved it!! It's a great dish to serve to guest. I doubled the amount of chicken broth and flour because I wanted more sauce.
Baked Chicken Roulade
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
Total: 45 Minutes
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (5-oz.) package baby spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 fresh thin asparagus spears (about 1 lb.)
- Wooden picks
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using flat side of a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt.
- 2. Sauté spinach and 2 minced garlic cloves in 2 tsp. hot oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat 1 minute or until spinach begins to wilt. Transfer spinach mixture to a plate. Wipe skillet clean.
- 3. Spoon spinach mixture over each breast, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Top with asparagus, and roll up, starting at 1 short side. Tuck in ends of chicken, and secure with wooden picks.
- 4. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter with 2 Tbsp. olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Transfer skillet to oven, and bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate, and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- 5. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add remaining garlic. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes or until tender and fragrant. Whisk in flour; cook 1 minute. Add white wine; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in chicken broth and lemon juice; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley and capers; spoon sauce over chicken. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes