Baked Cheesy Chicken Penne
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 6 tablespoon(s) butter, plus more for baking dishes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound(s) penne rigate
- 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves halved, horizontally
- 1/2 cup(s) plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 6 cup(s) whole milk
- 10 ounce(s) white or cremini mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) sliced oil packed sun dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cup(s) shredded provolone
- 1 1/2 cup(s) freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400. Butter two shallow 2-quart baking dishes. If you’re going to freeze one, use a disposable foil pan. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 3 minutes short of al dente; drain pasta and set aside.
- 2. While pasta is boiling, heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper; cook until opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Halve each piece lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise. While chicken pan is still hot, toss the mushrooms in and saute until golden brown (3-4 minutes). Use a little extra olive oil if needed.(Since I used left over chicken, I just cooked the mushrooms in the olive oil)
- 3. In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot , melt butter over medium. Add flour and garlic; cook, whisking, 1 minute. While whisking constantly, gradually add milk; bring to a simmer. Keep whisking frequently as sauce thickens, about 1 minute more. Add mushrooms and tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Take the pan off the heat and and gradually stir in provolone and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- 4. Add chicken and pasta to pot; season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide pasta mixture between baking dishes. If freezing, place remaining parmesan cheese in a zip-top baggie. If cooking, sprinkle on top.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, until top is golden and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Delacy and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Baked Cheesy Chicken Penne Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes