This was filling, but a little bland. A nice way to eat your leafy greens, but the chard needed tofu crumbles or meatless crumbles or something else to add a layer of flavor. I think I'd stir the cheese mixture into the chard, rather than into the polenta, where you couldn't really taste it. Also couldn't taste the sour cream, so a waste.
Baked Cheese Polenta with Swiss Chard
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell; Food Kellie Gerber Kelley
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 169
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 24.1g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 647mg
- Calcium: 146mg
- 2 bunches Swiss chard (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare chard, remove stems and center ribs. Discard stems and chop ribs; coarsely chop leaves. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add ribs and 2 tablespoons water; cover and cook 5 minutes. Add the leaves; cover and cook 5 minutes or until wilted.
- To prepare polenta, place 1 3/4 cups water, salt, and broth into a large saucepan. Gradually add the cornmeal, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Add cheeses, stirring constantly with a whisk. Spoon half the polenta into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray, spreading evenly. Top with the chard mixture. Spoon sour cream over chard, spreading evenly. Quickly add remaining polenta, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles