I used organic vegetable broth, halved the hot sauce, included the Worcestershire, skipped the red pepper and substituted munster for monterey jack. All worked fine. The grits thickened much quicker than 10 min cited. Taste, consistency and golden top were all really terrific.
Baked Cheese Grits
More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits*
- 1/2 (8-ounce) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 (8-ounce) block Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese, next 5 ingredients, and, if desired, Worcestershire sauce, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat, and stir in eggs.
- Pour grits into a lightly greased 2-quart or 11- x 8-inch baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and set.
- *Stone-ground grits may be substituted. Increase liquid to 6 cups, and increase cook time to 50 minutes.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used White Lily Quick Grits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This