- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits*
- 1/2 (8-ounce) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 (8-ounce) block Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
How to Make It
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese, next 5 ingredients, and, if desired, Worcestershire sauce, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat, and stir in eggs.
Pour grits into a lightly greased 2-quart or 11- x 8-inch baking dish.
Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and set.
*Stone-ground grits may be substituted. Increase liquid to 6 cups, and increase cook time to 50 minutes.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used White Lily Quick Grits.