Tried this for brunch today and it was delicious. Instead of using plain bread, I used a cinnamon swirl bread. I was not able to make it ahead and let it sit overnight, but, instead, I let it sit in the fridge for about 2 hours. Next time, I'll make it the night before so the bread really soaks up everything. Everyone has full and happy tummies today in my house.
Baked Caramel-Banana French Toast
Decadent, easy-to-serve Baked Caramel-Banana French Toast is great for family brunches. It's a tasty dessert option, too, for parties or dinner.
More From Allyou
Chill: 4 Hours
Bake: 40 Minutes
Total: 5 Hours, 5 Minutes
- Calories: 540
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 69g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 246mg
- Sodium: 524mg
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, optional
- 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 loaf challah or white bread (about 20 oz.), cut or torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and rum, if desired; stir until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in bananas.
- 2. Scatter half of bread in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spoon caramel-banana mixture evenly over bread. Top with remaining bread. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Whisk in half and half, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread mixture, pressing down on bread to make sure it's all coated. Cover with foil and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Let baking dish stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Remove foil and bake until puffed and golden and a thin knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This