Baked Beef Stew
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup shortening, divided
- 2 pounds lean beef for stewing, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 beef-flavored bouillon cubes
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (8 3/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons shortening in a large skillet until tender. Remove onion and garlic with a slotted spoon; set aside. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- Dredge meat in flour. Brown meat in reserved pan drippings over medium heat, adding remaining shortening as necessary. Set meat aside.
- Bring tomato juice to a boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat, and add bouillon cubes, stirring until dissolved.
- Combine onion and garlic, meat, tomato juice mixture, tomatoes, corn, potatoes, carrots, celery, chili sauce, salt, and pepper in an oven-proof 3-quart casserole; stir until well blended. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 1/2 hours, stirring once.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls. Serve hot with cornbread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews