- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup shortening, divided
- 2 pounds lean beef for stewing, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 beef-flavored bouillon cubes
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (8 3/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
Sauté onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons shortening in a large skillet until tender. Remove onion and garlic with a slotted spoon; set aside. Reserve drippings in skillet.
Dredge meat in flour. Brown meat in reserved pan drippings over medium heat, adding remaining shortening as necessary. Set meat aside.
Bring tomato juice to a boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat, and add bouillon cubes, stirring until dissolved.
Combine onion and garlic, meat, tomato juice mixture, tomatoes, corn, potatoes, carrots, celery, chili sauce, salt, and pepper in an oven-proof 3-quart casserole; stir until well blended. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 1/2 hours, stirring once.
Ladle into individual soup bowls. Serve hot with cornbread.