Baked Beans and Ham
More From Southern Living
Soak: 8 Hours
Bake: 1 Hour
- 1 (20-ounce) package dried 15-bean soup mix
- 4 cups water
- 2 (8-ounce) smoked ham hocks
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup bourbon (optional)
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water 2 inches above beans, and soak 8 hours. Drain.
- Bring beans, 4 cups water, and ham hocks to a boil in a Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Drain. Remove beans; set beans aside. Remove ham hocks, and let cool; chop meat, discarding skin and bones.
- Sauté onion and 2 cups ham in hot oil in Dutch oven 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans, reserved meat from ham hocks, ketchup, next 4 ingredients, and, if desired, bourbon to Dutch oven.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note