- 1 (8.5-oz.) French bread baguette
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 5 thick hickory-smoked bacon slices
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 (28-oz.) can baked beans
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons diced pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toppings: chopped fresh rosemary, queso fresco (fresh Mexican cheese), spicy barbecue sauce, pickled jalapeño pepper slices, hot sauce
How to Make It
Preheat grill to 400° to 450° (high) heat. Cut bread into 40 (1/4-inch-thick) slices, discarding ends. Coat 1 side of each bread slice with cooking spray. Grill bread slices, without grill lid, 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
Sauté onion in hot drippings 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in beans and next 5 ingredients; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated and slightly thickened. Spoon bean mixture onto grilled bread slices. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Serve with desired toppings.
Note: We tested with Bush's Best Country Style Baked Beans. Instead of grilling, bread slices may be baked on a baking sheet at 350° for 8 minutes or until lightly toasted.