This recipe did not turn out well for me. I had substituted veggie broth for the chicken broth but their was no flavor to the sauce. I mixed in some dijon mustard, which I think made a big difference and I also doubled the sauce recipe because there wasn't enough to cover all the artichokes. The final flavor was good, but the baking of the artichokes just dried them out. Perhaps the baking time should be way shorter - maybe just 5 minutes to let the sauce sink in and the cheese to melt a little. Also, this recipe doesn't tell you to remove the chokes - which I did with a small paring knife after they had been boiled.
Baked Baby Artichokes
Baked artichokes are delicious with Honey-Roasted Cornish Hen and steamed carrots.
Yield: 2 servings.
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 50
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 6.9g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 77mg
- Calcium: 0.0mg
- 6 baby artichokes (about 1/2 pound)
- Olive oil-flavored vegetable cooking spray
- 3 teaspoons canned low-sodium chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Wash artichokes by plunging them up and down in cold water. Cut off stem ends, and trim 1/2 inch from top of each artichoke. Remove and discard any loose bottom leaves. Cook artichokes in boiling water to cover 10 minutes. Drain and cut each artichoke in half lengthwise.
- Place artichokes, cut side up, in a 7- x 5 1/4- x 1 1/2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine chicken broth and next 4 ingredients, stirring well. Drizzle broth mixture evenly over artichokes. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until lower leaves pull out easily.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables