I made these this morning. The batter seemed a bit thick. Next time I'll thin it. It took more than 2 minutes to brown. But they were okay. They look really nice on the plate and I'll make them again, but I will add something to give them a kick—orange liquor?
Baked Apple Rings with Caramel Sauce
Photo: Karry Hosford
A cider-spiked batter coats apple rings that are browned in a skillet and then baked. The honeyed flavor of Golden Delicious apples makes them a winner in this dessert.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 apple slices and 1 tablespoon caramel sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 205
- Calories from fat: 2%
- Fat: 0.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 46.2g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 151mg
- Calcium: 20mg
- 4 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cored
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup fat-free caramel sundae syrup, divided
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice apples crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Set aside 8 largest slices; reserve remaining apple for another use.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, granulated sugar, salt, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Stir in cider and egg whites (batter will be thick).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Dip 4 apple slices in batter; place in pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Arrange apple slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; lightly coat apple slices with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining apple slices.
- Bake apple slices at 400° for 10 minutes or until edges are crisp. Drizzle each of 4 plates with 1 tablespoon caramel sauce; top with 2 apple slices. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Baked Apple Rings with Caramel Sauce Recipe at a Glance