We only made the mango salsa, which was superfast to prep and very good. Used the salsa as optional topping with CL's fish tacos with lime-cilantro crema.
Baja Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
Be sure to heat the oil to the proper temperature, and maintain the heat. Otherwise, the fish will absorb unnecessary fat and calories as it cooks. If you can't find fresh, never-frozen fish, substitute another firm white-fleshed fish, such as turbot or striped bass.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 356
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Carbohydrate: 47.3g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 690mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 1 cup diced peeled ripe mango
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 5 cups canola oil
- 3.38 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup beer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless halibut fillet, cut into 16 (3 x 1–inch) strips
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1. Combine first 6 ingredients; set aside.
- 2. Clip a fry thermometer to the side of a large, heavy saucepan. Add oil to pan; heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 375°. Reduce heat to medium, maintaining oil temperature.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, beer, black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and garlic powder, stirring with a whisk. Add fish to batter, tossing gently to coat. Remove fish from batter. Carefully add 4 or 5 fish pieces to hot oil; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and done, turning occasionally (maintain oil temperature at 375° throughout cooking process). Drain fish on paper towels. Repeat procedure in batches with remaining fish.
- 4. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; spoon about 2 tablespoons salsa into each tortilla.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This