I was skeptical about this recipe but was pleasantly surprised. The bread was absolutely perfect right out of the oven, but also stayed soft until the next day...unlike other baguettes that dry out over night. They freeze well and come back to life in the toaster oven. Definitely worth it!
Bake warm, crusty French baguettes at home with this easy bread recipe.
Yield: 2 loaves, 12 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 53
- Calories from fat: 3%
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 11.2g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 97mg
- Calcium: 1mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (100Â° to 110Â°)
- 3 cups bread flour, divided (about 14 1/4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 3/4 cups flour to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Cover and let stand 15 minutes. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; sprinkle evenly with salt. Knead until the salt is incorporated and the dough is smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel slightly sticky).
- Place dough in large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in warm place (85°), 40 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If an indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Divide in half. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), roll each portion on a floured surface into 12-inch rope, slightly tapered at ends. Place ropes on large baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray, and cover; let rise 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Uncover the dough. Cut 3 (1/4-inch-deep) diagonal slits across top of each loaf. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads