Bagna Cauda Bruschetta
This sublime starter (pronounced bahn-yah kow-dah broo-skeh-tah) depends on the richness of extravirgin olive oil. The dish is based on the classic Northern Italian appetizer of warm olive oil, anchovies, and garlic that's usually served with vegetable dippers. Here, the potent dip is drizzled onto bread and then topped with a colorful mix of grilled vegetables. Although the fat percentage is high, it's much lower than what you will find in traditional versions of this specialty; it's also low in saturated fat.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 99
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 211mg
- Calcium: 9mg
- 1 (8-ounce) baguette, sliced crosswise into 24 pieces
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium red bell pepper, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 canned anchovy fillets, rinsed and minced
- 1/4 cup extravirgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange baguette slices in an even layer on a baking sheet. Broil 1 minute or until toasted. Cool completely on baking sheet.
- Prepare grill or grill pan.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into 3 equal pieces. Arrange zucchini pieces and bell pepper quarters, skin side down, in a single layer on grill rack or grill pan coated with cooking spray, and grill 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp-tender. Chop zucchini and bell pepper; cover and keep warm.
- Combine juice, salt, garlic, and anchovies in a small food processor; process 30 seconds or until mixture forms a paste. Add oil; pulse 10 times or until combined. Spoon mixture into a small saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; stir in parsley.
- Place 2 baguette slices on each of 12 plates. Drizzle each slice with about 1/2 teaspoon oil mixture, and top with about 1 tablespoon vegetables. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note