Baek Kimchi (White Non-Spicy Kimchi)
Community Recipe from
- 1 whole(s) napa cabbage
- 2 piece(s) scallions 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 whole(s) korean radish matchstick pieces
- 2 whole(s) carrots julienned
- 2 piece(s) red pepper seeded & julienned
- 2 piece(s) green pepper seeded & julienned
- 5 whole(s) chestnuts peeled & thinly sliced
- 1/2 whole(s) pear matchstick pieces
- 1/2 cup(s) coarse salt
- 6 piece(s) garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) ginger minced
- 3 tablespoon(s) saewujeot (salted shrimp)
- 4 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) sea salt
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1.Rinse cabbage under running water, removing any bruised leaves or rotten sections. Cut cabbage into quarters or small bite-size pieces to save time later.
- 2.Prepare enough water to cover cabbage and dissolve with 1/2 cup of coarse salt in a large bowl. Add the cabbage chunks into the the salt water until at least partically submerged. Leave it in the salt water for minimum 12 hours (24 hours preferrably).
- 3.Meanwhile, prepare the sauce mixture by peeling and washing the radish. Cut into thin discs (mandolin works well) and then cut into matchstick pieces. Do the same with peppers and pear.
- 4.If using dates, wash them and soak for 10-15 minutes. Remove the seeds and cut into thin slices. Puree the onion, garlic, ginger, salted shrimp, and 1/2 cup of water in a food processor until smooth. Combine with all the sauce ingredients plus adding 5 more cups of water into a large container.
- 5.Remove the salted cabbage and rinse well. Drain and squeeze excess water out.
- 6.Mix cabbage leaves with the sauce mixture. When all leaves have been lathered, place your new kimchi into an air-tight jar container. If you have quartered cabbage sections, place the stuffing mixture in between the leaves starting with the bottom leaf and work your way up. Repeat until you have used up all the filling. Pour remaining broth into the glass container.
- 7.Let sit at room temperature for a few days and then refrigerate. Enjoy with rice and other meals.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by oliviajasonkim and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note