Bacon-Wrapped Beef Tenderloin with Madeira
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 10 Minutes
- 1 (6- to 6 1/2-pound) beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 1 pound bacon slices (about 20 slices) (we tested with Boar's Head)
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 2 (3.5-ounce) packages shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 (3.5-ounce) packages oyster mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 cup Madeira
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth or fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef consommé, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Garnish: fresh herb sprigs
- Cut tenderloin in half crosswise; sprinkle both pieces evenly with 2 1/2 teaspoons pepper and salt. Combine 1/4 cup parsley, rosemary, and 3 tablespoons thyme; rub over beef. Fold narrow end of tenderloin under to achieve a uniform thickness.
- Wrap bacon around tenderloin pieces, and secure at 1" intervals with heavy string. Heat a 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add beef in 2 batches. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning often to brown all sides. Remove beef from pan, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Place beef on a rack in a large roasting pan. Bake at 400° for 40 to 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of tenderloin registers 140° (rare) to 160° (medium) or to desired degree of doneness. Remove tenderloin to a serving platter, and cover with aluminum foil; let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Remove string.
- Meanwhile, heat reserved pan drippings in same skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots, mushrooms, and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme. Cook 3 minutes; add Madeira, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of pan. Add beef broth and consommé; bring to a boil. Boil 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to about 3 cups. Remove from heat; add remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, remaining 1/4 cup parsley, and butter, whisking until butter melts.
- Slice tenderloin into 1/2"-thick slices; arrange on a serving platter. Garnish, if desired. Serve with Madeira sauce.
- Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate uncooked bacon-wrapped tenderloins up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before proceeding with the recipe.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes