Bacon-and-Romaine Skewers with Blue Cheese Dressing
Photo: Jody Horton
Wedge salad (iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing and bacon) is a classic American dish. Here, James Holmes, chef of Austin's Olivia restaurant, reconfigures it as a playful cocktail snack.
Yield: Makes 24 skewers
More From Food & Wine
- 4 ounces crumbled Maytag blue cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces slab bacon, cut into large dice
- 1/2 pound romaine hearts, small leaves whole, large leaves cut into pieces
- In a food processor, pulse the blue cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels.
- Thread a few romaine leaves and bacon cubes onto each of 24 long bamboo skewers. Arrange the skewers on a platter and serve with the blue cheese dressing on the side.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note