These were a lot of work for not much flavor. Preparing the dough and filling separately was straightforward enough, but the overall assembly took a lot of time, and our very late dinner was disappointing. As I have a lot of filling left over (I couldn't fit 1/4 cup in each turnover), I will add some more cheese and maybe salt for the next batch, and try to add some flavor to the dough as well. These also could use a dipping sauce of some sort (sour cream?). I served these alongside CL Santa Maria Smoked Tri-Tip Steak.
Bacon, Potato, and Leek Turnovers
Howard L. Puckett
With a filling of mashed potatoes, bacon, chives, and cheese, these pies taste like a stuffed baked potato. They make a great accompaniment to steak and broccoli rabe.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 turnover)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 202
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 31.5g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 307mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed red or Yukon gold potato
- 2 cups chopped leek
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 12 Savory Cornmeal-Whole Wheat Dough circles
- Combine potato, chopped leek, and 3/4 cup water in a microwave-safe pie plate or bowl; lightly cover with wax paper. Microwave at high 8 minutes or until tender, stirring every 3 minutes. Coarsely mash mixture with a fork. Stir in chives and the next 5 ingredients (through bacon). Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place the Savory Cornmeal-Whole Wheat Dough circles on a lightly floured surface. Spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture into center of each dough circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges together with a fork or fingers to seal. Place turnovers on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pierce top of each turnover once with a fork. Bake at 425° for 17 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This