Bacon, Potato, and Gruyère Soufflé
Howard L. Puckett
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 253
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 13.7g
- Carbohydrate: 32.2g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 447mg
- Calcium: 211mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 3/4 pounds peeled white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) finely grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 6 large egg whites
- Lightly coat 6 (8-ounce) soufflé dishes with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until very tender; drain. Cool. Combine potatoes, buttermilk, and next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a food processor; process until smooth. Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl.
- Position oven rack to lowest setting; remove middle rack. Preheat to 425°.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Add leek, cheese, and bacon to potato mixture; stir well to combine.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; beat at high speed with a mixer until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Gently fold one-fourth of egg whites into potato mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Gently spoon mixture into prepared dishes. Sharply tap dishes on counter 2 to 3 times to level. Place dishes on a baking sheet; place baking sheet on the bottom rack of a 425° oven. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove soufflés from oven). Bake 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the side of soufflé comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This