Bacon, Potato, and Gruyère Soufflé
White potatoes work best for this recipe. Although they are similar in appearance to the russet (or baking potato), white potatoes, sometimes labeled "boiling" potatoes, have lighter skin and less-starchy flesh.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 253
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 13.7g
- Carbohydrate: 32.2g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 447mg
- Calcium: 211mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 3/4 pounds peeled white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) finely grated GruyÃ¨re cheese
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 6 large egg whites
- Lightly coat 6 (8-ounce) soufflé dishes with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until very tender; drain. Cool. Combine potatoes, buttermilk, and next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a food processor; process until smooth. Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl.
- Position oven rack to lowest setting; remove middle rack. Preheat to 425°.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Add leek, cheese, and bacon to potato mixture; stir well to combine.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; beat at high speed with a mixer until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Gently fold one-fourth of egg whites into potato mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Gently spoon mixture into prepared dishes. Sharply tap dishes on counter 2 to 3 times to level. Place dishes on a baking sheet; place baking sheet on the bottom rack of a 425° oven. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove soufflés from oven). Bake 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the side of soufflé comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes