Bacon-and-Caramelized Onion Hush Puppies
Fry up batches of Bacon-and-Caramelized Onion Hush Puppies at your next fish fry. With bits of bacon and onion, these savory bites are taken to the next level.
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- 5 bacon slices
- 1 1/2 cups diced sweet onion (about 1 medium onion)
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1. Cook 5 bacon slices in a medium skillet over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp; drain bacon on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon. Sauté onion in hot drippings over medium-low heat 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Pour oil to depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, onion, and bacon. Add egg and buttermilk; stir just until moistened. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry, in 3 batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Keep warm in a 200° oven.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note