Yield: 12 (1-cup) servings.
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 260
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 14.4g
- Carbohydrate: 29.7g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 760mg
- Calcium: 0.0mg
- 1/2 pound dried red kidney beans
- 8 ounces bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1 cup julienne-cut carrot
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water to a depth of 2 inches above beans; let soak overnight. Drain beans well; set aside.
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Add olive oil to pan; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add leeks and next 4 ingredients; saute until tender. Stir in Italian seasoning and salt; saute 1 minute. Stir in beans, chicken broth, and 5 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato, macaroni, cabbage, zucchini, and spinach. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Ladle into individual bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese and crumbled bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews