Was extremely creamy and delicious! Used 4 slices of bacon and full amount of cheese; though next time, could use less bacon and cheese and would still be great. Made at least 6 servings.
This macaroni and cheese meal is sure to gather rave reviews from kids and adults alike. This family-friendly one-dish meal gets it richness from sharp cheddar cheese, which mellows the heat from the hot sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 399
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated fat: 8.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 48.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 544mg
- Calcium: 358mg
- 3 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 12 ounces strozzapreti or penne pasta
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk, divided
- 2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Bring 6 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- 3. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add 1 cup milk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until it cools to 155°. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, onions, hot sauce, pepper, and bacon; stir. Add pasta; toss. Spoon into a 2-quart broiler-safe dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 7 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note