I must have done something wrong because the sauce was grainy. I did use reduced fat sharp cheddar finely shredded. Otherwise, this dish had great flavor and the right amount of heat. I also used 8 small slices of center cut bacon. I would have preferred a little crunch on the top like breadcrumbs rather than more cheese. Probably won't make again.
This macaroni and cheese meal is sure to gather rave reviews from kids and adults alike. This family-friendly one-dish meal gets it richness from sharp cheddar cheese, which mellows the heat from the hot sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 399
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated fat: 8.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 48.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 544mg
- Calcium: 358mg
- 3 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 12 ounces strozzapreti or penne pasta
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk, divided
- 2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Bring 6 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- 3. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add 1 cup milk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until it cools to 155°. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, onions, hot sauce, pepper, and bacon; stir. Add pasta; toss. Spoon into a 2-quart broiler-safe dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 7 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note