Loved it! We made ours vegan... used ancho chiles instead of bacon for smoky, spicy flavor (substitute some olive oil for bacon drippings). Three kinds of kale from the garden (dinosaur, red and russian). Took the tip on serving with rice and cold beer... with sweet mango on the side.
Bacon and Kale Adobo
Photo: Alex Farnum; Styling: Randy Mon
Time: 1 1/2 hours.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 243
- Calories from fat: 70%
- Protein: 7g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 677mg
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- 6 ounces applewood-smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound kale, stems and ribs removed, chopped fine
- 2 to 3 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 to 3 tbsp. coconut vinegar or 1 to 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Thai or serrano chile, crushed (optional)
- 1. In a 4- to 5-qt. pan over medium heat, cook bacon, stirring, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour bacon and fat through a fine strainer into a bowl. Return 5 tbsp. fat to pan; discard the rest.
- 2. Add onion, garlic, and bay leaves and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onion is pale golden, 5 minutes. Toss in kale; cook, stirring, until wilted. Add 1 cup water, half the bacon, 2 tbsp. each soy sauce and coconut vinegar, the pepper, and chile. Simmer, covered, adding water if pan gets dry, until kale is very tender, 60 minutes. Add soy and vinegar to taste. Serve sprinkled with remaining bacon.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables