Over 800 calories & 43 grams of fat for a mac and cheese recipe is ludicrous. After looking at the NI, I'd never make this recipe. There are so many delicious mac and cheese recipes around that are much healthier than this.
Bacon and Herbs Mac 'n' Cheese
Photo: James Baigrie; Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 811
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 43g
- Saturated fat: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 76g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 746mg
- Cholesterol: 119mg
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 strips bacon (about 2.5 oz.), chopped
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs such as tarragon, parsley, chives, and/or rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup brie cheese, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to broil. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes, then drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tbsp. grease. Set bacon aside.
- 3. In the warm pasta pot, mix reserved grease, 2 tbsp. butter, the herbs, onions, garlic, and soft cheeses. Mix in warm pasta and bacon. Spoon into 4 ramekins (1 1/2-cup size); sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tbsp. butter and the bread crumbs, stirring to combine. Sprinkle evenly over cheese.
- 5. Broil ramekins until golden and bubbling, about 3 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes