Bacon and Gorgonzola Cornbread Sliders with Chipotle Mayo
Two-time National Cornbread Cook-off winner Lori Stephens of Hendersonville, Tennessee, won in 2010 with her over-the-top version of sliders.
Yield: Serves 6 (2 sliders each)
- 2 (6 1/2-ounce) packages Martha White Yellow Cornbread Mix
- 1/2 cup Martha White all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 8 bacon slices, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped, with 1 teaspoon sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/2 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 thin slices Cheddar cheese, (1/2 ounce each)
- 1. Make the buns: Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly grease 2 cast iron straight-sided muffin pans (6 cups each) with nonstick cooking spray. Stir together the cornbread mix, flour, milk, sour cream, and 1 egg in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in the chives, crumbled bacon, and cheese. Fill each of the wells in the prepared muffin pans three-quarters full. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. (Any remaining batter can be made into additional muffins.)
- 2. Make the chipotle mayo: Combine the mayonnaise, chipotle, and adobo sauce in a small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
- 3. Make the burgers: Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion rings and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the skillet; wipe the skillet clean.
- 4. Combine the ground chuck, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Blend well. Divide into 12 equal portions. Pat out into thin burgers. Heat the skillet over medium to medium-high heat until hot. Cook the burgers, in batches, to desired degree of doneness. Top each burger with a slice of cheese.
- 5. To serve, slice the cornbread muffins to make buns. Spread a thin layer of the Chipotle Mayo on the tops and bottoms. Place a burger on each bottom half.Top with onion rings. Place the tops on the burgers and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes