Bacon and Gorgonzola Cornbread Sliders with Chipotle Mayo
- 2 (6 1/2-ounce) packages Martha White Yellow Cornbread Mix
- 1/2 cup Martha White all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 8 bacon slices, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped, with 1 teaspoon sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/2 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 thin slices Cheddar cheese, (1/2 ounce each)
- 1. Make the buns: Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly grease 2 cast iron straight-sided muffin pans (6 cups each) with nonstick cooking spray. Stir together the cornbread mix, flour, milk, sour cream, and 1 egg in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in the chives, crumbled bacon, and cheese. Fill each of the wells in the prepared muffin pans three-quarters full. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. (Any remaining batter can be made into additional muffins.)
- 2. Make the chipotle mayo: Combine the mayonnaise, chipotle, and adobo sauce in a small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
- 3. Make the burgers: Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion rings and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the skillet; wipe the skillet clean.
- 4. Combine the ground chuck, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Blend well. Divide into 12 equal portions. Pat out into thin burgers. Heat the skillet over medium to medium-high heat until hot. Cook the burgers, in batches, to desired degree of doneness. Top each burger with a slice of cheese.
- 5. To serve, slice the cornbread muffins to make buns. Spread a thin layer of the Chipotle Mayo on the tops and bottoms. Place a burger on each bottom half.Top with onion rings. Place the tops on the burgers and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note