Bacon Fried Porkchop and Sauerkraut Casserole
Its a really great winter/comfort food. Its a different take on a german porkchop and potatoes. We serve with mashed potatoes. The pair goes great together. If done right its an unbelievably great dish. Very easy to make your own version depending on how much of whatever ingredient you like.
- 4 piece(s) pork chops work great with any thickness
- 1 package(s) bacon Thick cut but any kind will work
- 6 clove(s) garlic Fresh
- 1/2 White Onion
- 12-20 ounce(s) Sauerkraut enough to cover bottom of pan add more to your liking
- 1 package(s) Mushrooms we usually use white button but any mushroom that you like will d
- 2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce Make sure its Naturally brewed not the cheap stuff
- Preheat oven to 375
- Pull pork from package salt and pepper liberally or less if you desire set aside
- In a 13x9 oven safe casserole dish cover the bottom of the dish with Sauerkraut and add in soy sauce and stir until brown. evenly cover bottom of dish. You can use more or less Sauerkraut if you want.
- Slice 6 cloves of garlic in to thin horizontal slices
- Slice half onion, cut half in into a quarter then slice each quarter into around 1/4 inch THICK slices
- Slice mushrooms into 1/4 inch slices vertically
- Set all veggies in one plate set aside
- We use 2-3 slices of bacon per pork chop you can use more or less
- 1.Fry bacon in a pan till crispy but not over cooked. DONT DRAIN PAN, Remove bacon from pan and place on paper towel to pad extra grease set aside. Keep pan on heat but turn down to medium low to prevent burning.
- 2. Place all veggies into Pan with bacon grease quickly as possible and saute scraping bottom of pan with spatula while sauteing to get all that bacon goodness. cook until veggies are soft. Watch heat because you dont want it to burn. Onions should be soft and translucent, garlic should be very soft, mushrooms should be coated and soft. remove veggies from pan, place in a dish aside. DO NOT DRAIN, or take off heat.
- 3. Place all Pork Chops in same pan and turn heat up to medium and cover till pork is medium-done-medium well about 7-12 mins depending on size of chops. flip them two or three times during cooking. You can cook it through all the way in the pan if you desire but it still has to bake and we found not cooking all the way though was best for moist tender chops in the end.
- 4. Take your 13x9 casserole with sauerkraut in it and add pork chops evenly spaced as best you can on top of the sauerkraut bed. Then add equal amounts of the sauteed veggies over the top of each chop. then add bacon slices on top of the veggies. we cross them and put a tooth pick through the middle to keep the bacon from moving.
- 5. Place casserole in oven @375 for 30 mins.
- 6. Make your side. We use a nice smooth buttery mash potatoes made with a touch of sourcream as a side if goes perfect with the sauce this dish creates on your plate.
- 7. remove your casserole from the oven and plate. We take the porkchops with the veggies and bacon on top on the plate first then add the sauerkraut on top. Enjoy the best pork dish you ever had!
This recipe is a personal recipe added by brad684 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note