Who says vegetables are only for lunch and dinner? If you want to serve this breakfast salad warm—which is what we'd do—let the vegetables come to room temperature and wait to toast the bread until just before serving.
Sunset APRIL 2012
1. Quarter cucumber lengthwise, then slice 1/2 in. thick. Toss cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl; set aside.
2. Whisk together 1/4 tsp. salt, the orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, and oil in a small bowl. Set dressing aside.
3. Brown bacon in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until golden, turning once, 4 minutes. Cut into 1/4-in. strips.
4. Put eggs in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover pan, and let sit 3 minutes for soft-cooked. Crack eggs all over on counter, transfer to a bowl of ice water, and let cool 2 to 3 minutes. Peel and halve lengthwise.
5. Meanwhile, tear bread into 1/2- to 1-in. pieces. Add to vegetables along with bacon and dressing, and toss until evenly coated.
6. Divide salad among 4 shallow bowls and top each with 2 egg halves. Season to taste with pepper and more salt.
Make ahead: Up to 2 days, chop vegetables and cook eggs (let sit 10 minutes).
Go to full version of