Bacon, Egg, and Toast Salad with OJ Dressing
Who says vegetables are only for lunch and dinner? If you want to serve this breakfast salad warm—which is what we'd do—let the vegetables come to room temperature and wait to toast the bread until just before serving.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 415
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Sodium: 1037mg
- Cholesterol: 236mg
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 2 cups slivered orange or red bell peppers
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup slivered red onion, rinsed and patted dry
- About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 slices Canadian bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 7 ounces multigrain bread, sliced 3/4 in. thick, toasted
- 1. Quarter cucumber lengthwise, then slice 1/2 in. thick. Toss cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl; set aside.
- 2. Whisk together 1/4 tsp. salt, the orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, and oil in a small bowl. Set dressing aside.
- 3. Brown bacon in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until golden, turning once, 4 minutes. Cut into 1/4-in. strips.
- 4. Put eggs in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover pan, and let sit 3 minutes for soft-cooked. Crack eggs all over on counter, transfer to a bowl of ice water, and let cool 2 to 3 minutes. Peel and halve lengthwise.
- 5. Meanwhile, tear bread into 1/2- to 1-in. pieces. Add to vegetables along with bacon and dressing, and toss until evenly coated.
- 6. Divide salad among 4 shallow bowls and top each with 2 egg halves. Season to taste with pepper and more salt.
Make ahead: Up to 2 days, chop vegetables and cook eggs (let sit 10 minutes).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This