The cookie every dog dreams of… Use uncured bacon and low-sodium broth to make this treat a must-have for your dog.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large shallow baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium and cook bacon until crisp, turning once or twice, about 6-7 minutes. Drain bacon, transfer to a cutting board, and finely chop it. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon fat.
3. Combine the chopped bacon, flour, wheat germ and dry milk in a medium bowl. Whisk together reserved bacon fat, egg, broth and parsley in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a spoon or rubber spatula until a rough dough forms. Knead the dough in the bowl 5-6 times until it comes together.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness. With a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out treats and transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Press all the scraps together, kneading once or twice, then roll out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out more treats; repeat if necessary.
5. Bake treats until lightly browned and fairly hard, rotating the pans from top to bottom once, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely; biscuits will harden as they cool. Store in an airtight container.
Go to full version of