Bacon-Cheddar Hot-Water Cornbread
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 to 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 8 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 minced green onions
- Vegetable oil
- Softened butter
- Combine cornmeal and next 3 ingredients in a bowl; stir in half-and-half and 1 tablespoon oil. Gradually add boiling water, stirring until batter is the consistency of grits. Stir in bacon, cheese, and green onions.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch into a large heavy skillet; place over medium-high heat. Scoop batter into a 1/4-cup measure; drop into hot oil, and fry, in batches, 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain well on paper towels. Serve immediately with softened butter.
- Note: Stone ground (coarsely ground) cornmeal requires more liquid.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads