Awesome flavor... cooking them again this weekend.
Photo: Howard Lee Puckett; Styling: Caroline Cunningham and Amy Burke
Yield: Makes 10 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- 4 thick bacon slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle ale beer
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 6 pounds fresh collard greens, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut bacon crosswise into 1/4-inch strips. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add bacon, and cook, stirring often, 8 minutes or until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Sauté onion in hot drippings 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in bacon, ale, and next 3 ingredients; cook 3 minutes or until mixture is reduced by one-fourth.
- 2. Add collards, in batches, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 1 hour or to desired degree of doneness. Stir in vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables