Kentucky native Stephen Barber was inspired by his Southern roots to create this flavor-packed salad.
Southern Living JUNE 2008
1. Place eggs in a single layer in a stainless steel saucepan. (Do not use nonstick.) Add water to a depth of 3 inches. Bring to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes.
2. Drain immediately, and return eggs to pan. Fill pan with cold water and ice. Tap each egg firmly on the counter until cracks form all over the shell. Peel under cold running water. Chop eggs.
3. Bring sweet potatoes, 1/2 tsp. salt, and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven. Cook 10 minutes; add red potatoes, and cook 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
4. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
5. Sauté red onion in hot drippings 8 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to low, and whisk in vinegar, mustard seeds, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, whisking occasionally. Whisk in canola oil, pepper, and remaining 1 1/2 tsp. salt.
6. Pour hot vinegar mixture over potatoes. Add eggs, bacon, green onions, and parsley, stirring gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
Go to Full Version of