This tart was a big hit at a family party. I too only used two leeks, and found that that was plenty. The good news? I have two more leeks and the other half of my puff pastry! I can make another one!
Photo: Beth Dreiling-Hontzas; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Other Time: 20 Minutes
- 4 medium leeks
- 3 thick hickory-smoked bacon slices
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided*
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme**
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg white
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Remove and discard root ends and dark green tops of leeks. Thinly slice leeks, and rinse thoroughly under cold running water to remove grit and sand.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 11 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- 3. Sauté leeks in hot drippings over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, thyme, pepper, and salt.
- 4. Unfold pastry sheet; fit into a 9-inch square tart pan. Whisk egg white until light and frothy. Brush egg white onto pastry sheet.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven. Press pastry with back of a spoon to flatten. Top with leek mixture; sprinkle with crumbled bacon and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- * Swiss cheese may be substituted.
- ** 1 tsp. dried thyme may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes