Baby Vegetable Antipasto
The vegetables can marinate for a couple of hours, so all you'll have to do at party time is arrange them on a platter and top with olives and cheese. Immediately place the prepared vegetables in the marinade so they won't discolor. Be sure to use fresh mozzarella, which comes packed in water and is usually found with the specialty cheeses. Coarsely chop leftovers and toss with pasta for a cold salad.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 127
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 19.5g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 386mg
- Calcium: 127mg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of sugar
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 8 baby artichokes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 20 small red potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 3 bunches baby carrots, with tops (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled
- 2 bunches small radishes, with tops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup torn radicchio
- 1 head Belgian endive, separated into leaves (about 4 ounces)
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 20 pitted ripe olives
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into bite-sized pieces
- To prepare marinade, combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- To prepare vegetables, working with 1 artichoke at a time, cut off stem to the base. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender heart and bottom; trim about 1 inch from top of artichoke. Steam artichokes, covered, 20 minutes or until tender; cool to room temperature. Cut artichokes in half lengthwise. Remove fuzzy thistle from bottom with a spoon.
- Steam potatoes, covered, 6 minutes or until tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Trim carrot stems to 2 inches. Steam carrots, covered, for 20 seconds. Plunge into ice water; drain well.
- Trim radish tops to 1 inch.
- Place artichokes, potatoes, carrots, radishes, radicchio,and endive in a large bowl. Drizzle with marinade; toss gently to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours.
- Arrange vegetables on a platter; top with olives and cheese.
- Wine Note: Serve the Baby Vegetable Antipasto and Rosemary-Scented Flatbread with Black Grapes with a light, snappy white like Pino and Toi from the producer Maculan. A blend of Pinot Grigio, Pinot Bianco, Tacai, and Chardonnay, the 2001 is $10. Other good bets: Italian Gavi or Orvieto.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note