Baby Spinach and Red Pepper Rice
This is a delicious take on risotto, made completely in the microwave.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
Other Time: 23 Minutes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup MAHATMA Extra Long Grain White Rice
- 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Italian six-cheese blend
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup jarred chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 3 cups firmly packed fresh baby spinach
- 1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes. Stir in rice, and microwave at HIGH 2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in 2 3/4 cups broth and 1/4 cup wine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. (Do not vent.) Microwave at HIGH 9 minutes. Carefully swirl bowl without uncovering (to incorporate the mixture), and microwave at HIGH 8 minutes. Carefully remove and discard plastic wrap. Stir in cheese and 1/4 cup chicken broth, stirring 30 seconds to 1 minute or until creamy. Add up to 1/4 cup additional broth, 1 Tbsp. at a time, for desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Stir in red peppers and spinach, and microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until spinach is wilted.
- Note: We tested with a 1,100-watt microwave oven and a 1 1/2-liter glass bowl. We found that press-and-seal plastic wrap will not work in this application.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables