Baby Lima Bean Soup with Crispy Sage
A quick way to thicken a bean soup is to mash a cup of the cooked beans and stir them back into the soup.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 292
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 15.7g
- Carbohydrate: 51.9g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 4.5mg
- Sodium: 642mg
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Fiber: 15.9g
- Calcium: 82mg
- 1 (16-pounce) package dried baby lima beans
- 7 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 2 fresh sage leaves
- 2 center-cut bacon slices, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sort and wash beans; place beans in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans and return to pan.
- Add 7 1/2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bay leaves to pan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 10 minutes. Add carrot; cook 20 minutes or until beans and carrot are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sage leaves; sauté 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp. Remove leaves from pan; drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside.
- Cook bacon in same pan 4 minutes or until crisp. Stir in onion; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
- Drain beans, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid in a small bowl. Discard bay leaves and return beans to pan. Add 1 cup beans to reserved cooking liquid; mash with a fork until mixture forms a paste. Stir broth, bean paste, onion mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and half of crumbled sage into cooked beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated (mixture will be thick).
- Ladle soup into individual bowls, and sprinkle with remaining crumbled sage. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine