Baby Lima Bean Soup with Crispy Sage
A quick way to thicken a bean soup is to mash a cup of the cooked beans and stir them back into the soup.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 292
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 15.7g
- Carbohydrate: 51.9g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 4.5mg
- Sodium: 642mg
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Fiber: 15.9g
- Calcium: 82mg
- 1 (16-pounce) package dried baby lima beans
- 7 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 2 fresh sage leaves
- 2 center-cut bacon slices, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sort and wash beans; place beans in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans and return to pan.
- Add 7 1/2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bay leaves to pan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 10 minutes. Add carrot; cook 20 minutes or until beans and carrot are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sage leaves; sauté 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp. Remove leaves from pan; drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside.
- Cook bacon in same pan 4 minutes or until crisp. Stir in onion; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
- Drain beans, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid in a small bowl. Discard bay leaves and return beans to pan. Add 1 cup beans to reserved cooking liquid; mash with a fork until mixture forms a paste. Stir broth, bean paste, onion mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and half of crumbled sage into cooked beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated (mixture will be thick).
- Ladle soup into individual bowls, and sprinkle with remaining crumbled sage. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note