- 3 medium beets, with roots and 1 in. of stems attached
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons roasted walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or use all olive oil)
- 2/3 cup pomegranate seeds, divided
- 2 qts. loosely packed small lettuce leaves (4 to 6 in.), preferably red and green
- 1/4 cup small flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 small green onion, cut into 2-in. slivers
- calories 196
- caloriesfromfat 73 %
- protein 3.9 g
- fat 16 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- carbohydrate 12 g
- fiber 3.7 g
- sodium 180 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Set beets in an 8-in. square pan with 1/4 in. water. Cover tightly with foil and bake until tender, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Also roast walnuts in a pie pan until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, toast cumin and coriander in a frying pan over medium heat until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Coarsely grind with a mortar and pestle. Pour into a small bowl. Whisk in salt, pepper, honey, vinegar, and lemon zest, then oils.
Rub beets with a paper towel to remove peel. Cut into matchsticks. Combine beets, 1 1/2 tbsp. dressing, and 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds; let stand 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss lettuces, parsley, and walnuts with 3 tbsp. dressing. Arrange on a platter. Spoon beet mixture down center and scatter onion on top. Sprinkle with remaining pomegranate seeds. Serve remaining dressing on the side.