Baby Ballpark Dogs
Photo: Lisa Romerein; Styling: Valerie Aikman-Smith
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 169
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Protein: 6.3g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrate: 8.3g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 83mg
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Cooking-oil spray
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 package (12 oz.) mini cocktail franks
- Yellow mustard in a squeeze bottle
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking-oil spray and line with parchment or waxed paper. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over high heat, then add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Add flour and cook, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon, until a ball forms. Continue to cook until a film begins to form on bottom of pan, about 1 minute.
- 3. Transfer dough to a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. On low speed, add eggs 1 at a time, incorporating each before adding the next.
- 4. Spoon dough into a large resealable plastic bag. Cut a corner of the bag to make a 1/2-in. opening. Gather bag above dough, twist, and push dough to opening. On the lined baking sheets, for each mini dog, pipe dough slightly apart into 2 parallel lines, about 2 in. long (the dough lines should be the same length as a mini frank and almost as thick). Then pipe a small amount of dough in center of both lines to create an H. Place a frank between the 2 long dough lines, pressing down slightly. Repeat with remaining dough and franks, spacing about 2 in. apart.
- 5. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 6. Cool hot dogs until slightly warm, then squeeze a small ribbon of mustard onto length of each dog, top with a sprinkle of cheese, and spoon about 1/4 tsp. relish onto center.
- Make ahead: Prepare through step 4 and chill, covered, up to 1 1/2 hours prior to baking.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per mini dog.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers