Baby Artichoke Sauté with Basil-Asiago Breadcrumbs
Because they are small and tender, baby artichokes are great sauté candidates. A combination of butter and oil offers layered flavor with less risk of the butter burning. Panko, however, is sautéed in butter alone because the breadcrumbs immediately soak up the fat, which makes burning less likely. If you don't have panko, use fresh breadcrumbs made from leftover bread, and sauté an additional minute or two.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 153
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 23.3g
- Fiber: 9.4g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 335mg
- Calcium: 126mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Asiago cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds baby artichokes (about 12)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon butter to pan, swirling to coat; heat 10 seconds or until foam subsides. Add panko and garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute or until panko is lightly browned, stirring frequently. Place panko mixture in a small bowl; cool slightly. Stir in cheese, basil, and pepper.
- 2. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and 2 teaspoons juice; set aside.
- 3. Combine 6 cups water and 1 tablespoon juice. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, cut off stem of artichoke to within 1 inch of base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves from artichoke, leaving tender heart and bottom. Trim about 1 inch from top of artichoke. Cut artichoke in quarters. Place artichoke quarters in lemon water. Repeat procedure with the remaining artichokes.
- 4. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Drain artichokes, and pat dry. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon butter and oil to pan, swirling to coat bottom of pan; heat 15 seconds or until foam subsides. Add artichokes to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in salt. Sprinkle panko mixture over artichokes; toss gently to combine. Serve with sauce and lemon wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note