- 5 tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 2 serrano or jalapeño chiles, seeded
- 1 cup water
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
Combine tomatillos and next 4 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 30 minutes.
Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a container, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Place tomatillo mixture and reserved liquid in a blender. Add avocado, cilantro, and lime juice; process until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan, and heat until warm. Gradually whisk in butter, salt, and pepper until well blended.