This was amazing. I made it for our Superbowl party and it was a huge hit. I was a little wary of making it too far in advance as I was afraid the avocados would start to discolor. But just as the note said, the tomatillos kept that from happening and the dip remained a beautiful green the whole time. I will absolutely make this again and again!
Avocado-Tomatillo Dip with Cumin Pita Chips
Tart tomatillos keep this dip a bright green and prevent the avocado from discoloring, even after a day or two in the refrigerator. Look for tomatillos in the produce section of most large supermarkets.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 106
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 13.9g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 266mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 3 (6-inch) pitas, split in half horizontally
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 pound tomatillos (about 5 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 ripe peeled avocados, seeded and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chips, coat rough side of each pita half with cooking spray; sprinkle pita halves evenly with cumin seeds, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cut each pita half into 8 wedges; arrange wedges in a single layer on baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- To prepare dip, discard husks and stems from tomatillos. Place tomatillos in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes or until tender. Cool to room temperature. Place tomatillos, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Add sour cream and avocado; process until smooth. Serve with chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Avocado-Tomatillo Dip with Cumin Pita Chips Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This