Avocado Soup With Marinated Shrimp
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey
More From Southern Living
Chill: 1 Hour
Stand: 15 Minutes
- 3 large avocados, cut into chunks
- 2 (14-oz.) cans vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup off-dry white wine (Riesling) (optional)
- 1/2 pound medium-size peeled, cooked shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- 1. Process first 3 ingredients and 1/4 tsp. salt in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- 2. Transfer avocado mixture to a bowl; stir in buttermilk, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, and, if desired, wine until smooth. Place plastic wrap directly on soup, and chill at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- 3. During last 15 minutes of chill time for avocado mixture, combine shrimp, olive oil, lemon zest, and remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and 3/4 tsp. salt, and let stand 15 minutes.
- 4. Ladle soup into small bowls, and top each with shrimp. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers