Phenomenal flavors in this one. We ended up with far more shrimp than we thought and nori sheets that were lacking, but making do with those hurdles, they still came out great. Our presentation was lacking as it was our first time rolling sushi, but that didn't hurt the taste one bit. We'll likely be using the avocado mixture on a number of different things in the future.
Avocado and Shrimp Sushi
Using mashed avocado makes this California-style sushi easy to roll. Use precooked shrimp for an easy shortcut. Serve sushi with the typical accompaniments of wasabi, low-sodium soy sauce, and pickled ginger.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 365
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 60.3g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 311mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wasabi (Japanese horseradish)
- 1 avocado, peeled and mashed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 24 large shrimp, cooked, peeled, and halved crosswise (about 8 ounces)
- 6 nori (seaweed) sheets
- 12 chives
- 12 (7-inch-long) julienne-cut seeded peeled cucumber strips
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Stir in vinegar; cover and cool to room temperature.
- Combine wasabi and avocado in a small bowl, and set aside. Combine cilantro and shrimp in another small bowl; toss well.
- Cut off top quarter of nori sheets along short end. Place 1 nori sheet, shiny side down, on a sushi mat covered with plastic wrap, with long end toward you. Pat 3/4 cup rice mixture evenly over nori with moist hands, leaving a 1-inch border on one long end of nori. Spread 1 tablespoon avocado mixture over rice.
- Arrange 8 shrimp pieces, 2 chives, and 2 cucumber strips along bottom third of rice-covered nori.
- Lift edge of nori closest to you; fold over filling. Lift bottom edge of sushi mat; roll toward top edge, pressing firmly on sushi roll. Continue rolling to top edge; press mat to seal sushi roll. Let rest, seam side down, for 5 minutes. Slice crosswise into 8 pieces. Repeat procedure with remaining nori, rice mixture, avocado mixture, shrimp mixture, chives, and cucumber.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note