I thought that this seemed to be a simple, but above average sandwich and it was all that and more! As said before, the combination of proscuitto and avocado was outstanding. We made ours in to 2 slice sandwiches and I had mine with raw onions instead of the cooked ones. It fit both our our tastes perfectly!
Avocado, Red Onion, and, Prosciutto Sandwiches
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 359
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Sodium: 729mg
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 slices (4 to 4 1/2 in. square) whole wheat bread, toasted
- 4 slices prosciutto (2 oz. total)
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (1/2 lb.), pitted, peeled, and thickly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 cup water and the sugar to a boil. Add vinegar and onions, and stir occasionally until boiling again. Remove from heat and let cool, about 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, spread mayonnaise on toast and set each slice, mayonnaise side up, on a plate. Arrange half the prosciutto, then half the avocado, on each slice of toast.
- 3. Drain onions well and mound half on each open-faced sandwich. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Eat with a knife and fork.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches