Avocado, Grapefruit, and Shiso Salad
Photo: Thomas J. Story
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 271
- Calories from fat: 67%
- Protein: 2.8g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sodium: 320mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh shiso*, plus 5 whole leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small to medium fennel bulb, quartered and cored
- 2 Ruby grapefruit
- 2 firm-ripe avocados, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1. Whisk together vinegar, chopped shiso, and oil in a medium bowl. With a knife or a mandoline, slice fennel very thin.
- 2. Working with one grapefruit at a time, slice off ends, then set on an end and use a small, sharp knife to cut off peel from top to bottom, following curve of fruit. Hold fruit over bowl and slice between membranes to release segments into bowl.
- 3. Add fennel and avocados along with a few grinds of pepper. Gently toss to coat and season to taste with salt. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Cut shiso leaves into thin strips and sprinkle on salad.
- *If you can't find shiso, use fresh basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note