Avocado, Grapefruit, and Shiso Salad
The warm anise flavor of shiso, encouraged by the licoricey fennel, comes through clearly in this pretty salad. You can use either red or green shiso (red is slightly stronger in flavor) or a combination.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 271
- Calories from fat: 67%
- Protein: 2.8g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sodium: 320mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh shiso*, plus 5 whole leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small to medium fennel bulb, quartered and cored
- 2 Ruby grapefruit
- 2 firm-ripe avocados, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1. Whisk together vinegar, chopped shiso, and oil in a medium bowl. With a knife or a mandoline, slice fennel very thin.
- 2. Working with one grapefruit at a time, slice off ends, then set on an end and use a small, sharp knife to cut off peel from top to bottom, following curve of fruit. Hold fruit over bowl and slice between membranes to release segments into bowl.
- 3. Add fennel and avocados along with a few grinds of pepper. Gently toss to coat and season to taste with salt. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Cut shiso leaves into thin strips and sprinkle on salad.
- *If you can't find shiso, use fresh basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This