My family loved this soup. Only changes I made was that I roasted the red pepper and used it only as garnish, doubled the recipe but didn't double on corn since the ear corns I used were large and I added chopped English cucumber. I didn't make it spicy this time because I wasn't in the mood for spicy, I probably will next time. I used fresh squeezed orange juice and didn't even taste it in the soup, it wasn't overwhelming at all. It all depends on the oranges you use I guess. It was perfect on a hot day teamed up with a salad.
Avocado-Corn Chowder with Grilled Chicken
Top a creamy chilled avocado soup with fresh corn and grilled chicken for colorful and flavorful main dish entrée.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 28 Minutes
- Calories: 359
- Fat: 17.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 11.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 24.5g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 558mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 2 ripe avocados, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 lime wedges
- 1. Peel and coarsely chop 1 avocado; place in a blender. Add water, orange juice, honey, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper, if desired; blend until smooth. Place in freezer to chill while chicken cooks.
- 2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush chicken with oil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Place chicken in pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; rub chicken with cut sides of garlic halves. Let chicken stand 10 minutes; cut or shred into bite-sized pieces.
- 3. Peel and dice remaining avocado. Stir diced avocado, corn, bell pepper, and onions into chilled avocado puree. Spoon chowder into bowls; top with chicken and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes