I reviewed this once, but see its been deleted. Guess only "nice" reviews make it.
Avgolemono Chicken Soup with Rice
Photo: © Yunhee Kim
Avgolemono is a classic sauce of chicken broth, egg yolks and lemon juice; the addition of a bit more chicken broth, rice and shredded chicken turns it into a satisfying soup.
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked white rice, warmed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled from the bones and coarsely shredded (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- In a large saucepan, season the stock with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Transfer 1 cup of the hot stock to a blender. Add 1/2 cup of the rice, the egg yolks and the lemon juice and puree until smooth. Stir the puree into the simmering stock along with the chicken and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of rice and simmer until thickened slightly, 10 minutes. Stir in the dill and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note